Monday, November 3, 2014

Families are Forever

Bannon's newest letter. I too am grateful to be part of an eternal family. Bannon is learning so much and we are so proud of him and his decision to serve. Enjoy!


A big problem here in the D.R. is that marriage and families with fathers is kind of a rare thing. Actually, a really rare thing. It is so hard to find a solid family to teach some times. And when we do, the parents are not married. When we ask people if they are married, they look at us like we are crazy.  I have seen way to many young women with babies, but the father is up and gone. It is a really sad part of this culture. Way too many kids are growing up with no father and it has become a normal thing. On the other hand, there are a lot of really awesome fathers who work hard for their families and set a great example for their children and teach them to be hard workers as well. And a lot of really strong families that love and care for each other as families should. I love the fact that every day I get to teach people the importance of families, fathers, mothers, husbands, wives. I love that we are helping families come closer together. I love that families are such a big part in Heavenly Father's plan for us and that every day I can teach people that plan. I especially love that families are forever. I am so thankful and blessed to have been raised with a hard working father who has raised me well (well at least I hope ;)) and has taught me what it means to be a man and eventually a father myself one day. I am thankful that I have had an amazing, beautiful mother who has nurtured me (maybe a little too much as my dad would say ;) ) And has cared for me throughout my life. I am thankful that, like Nephi, I have been borne of goodly parents ;) and that my family is so strong. Families really are so important. I hope more people understand that and we all as a whole, stop making marriage and strong families an option.
As for my week this week, it was great and we found more awesome people who have a strong desire to know more about the gospel of Jesus Christ. We had an amazing activity with 5 of our progressing investigators, 3 of which have baptism dates. We invited some people from our ward to come and help us and get to know our investigators a bit. It turned out to be a huge success and we had 27 people there besides us! People that lived on that street even came and joined in. We taught a part of the Plan of Salvation and then played a fun, interactive game that got everyone on their feet and made more people from the block come and see what all the fun was about. Our ward members were awesome and helped so much. I think it helped our investigators get to know the ward members more and see that we are normal people who know how to have fun and not need alcohol or bad things to do it!
Love you all.                                        

Elder Greer

No comments:

Post a Comment