Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 3

 Hi Everyone!
Here is Bannon's letter from this week. He is doing great and we are so happy he is doing well! Again the picture captions are from him so some of them don't make sense to me but they might to you! ;) Happy reading!
 
 
 
Buenos Tardes, mi bonita amigas y familia! All you Spanish speakers out there don't make fun of my greengo Spanish, I'm still learning! ;)
So I have been talking to a couple of teachers here that both served in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Hermano Graff told me a bunch of really awesome and crazy experiences and stories he has from his mission. Like about how he was caught in the middle of a gun shoot out, and how he had to take cover behind a car and then run to a nearby church and lock himself in to keep safe and then call his Mission President for help. And about how this one time he... Actually never mind. For the sake of my mom and other family members, I'll just not go into detail of the things he told me ;) But I'm pretty much just preparing myself for anything :) I am actually so down to be in the middle of a shoot off and dodge bullets or get stabbed or something crazy like that! I mean, as long as I live to talk about it ;) But fortunately for you, mom, he said I am going to the safer part of the island. Safe-ER. Him and Hermana Avery both told me that It's the best and I will love it so much. They tell me that the people are so kind and exciting to work with and are willing to do anything. They love the Elders down there and I will be taken care of and have nothing to worry about. But they did also inform me that we are not allowed to eat at member or non-member families house :( Which means that I will have to cook every single day! So that will be interesting... And very stressful. I might be living off of mac and cheese for a while. So send me some easy recopies and things I can make in little time. I hate cooking and am the worst at it, but at least I'll come back knowing how to cook! Worthy husband material ;) (Hopefully) Either that or I'll be able to make some dang good Top Ramen!
It's raining right now. Well, it was anyway. Utah weather is so weird. Definitely wasn't prepared for Provo, but at least it's not cold yet.
I'm getting a hair cut tomorrow. Let's see if these MTC barbers know how to cut hair! Hopefully they don't bick it! (Mel I need you to fly up to Utah ad cut my hair haha)
We got our first real progressive investigator yesterday that we get to teach for the next two weeks! Some of us get fake investigators who just act and stuff, but the lucky ones like me and my companion get real investigators! Her name is Llevette and she is from New York. She is in Provo for about 3 months living with her member friend who goes to BYU. She used to be Atheist, but now believes in God but doesn't know much about religion or Jesus Christ. Her friend got her interested, now the work is ours! Our first lesson was on Monday with her, and it went terrible. Not only were we trying to figure her out and what she needs and what to teach her, but we had to do it all in Spanish! So it was a huge challenge understanding what she was saying back to us. We managed to get her to commit to read the Intro to the Book of Mormon and sincerely pray to God to know if it is true. So if nothing else, we accomplished that. We left feeling like we did awful, but we just prayed a lot about what to do and what to teach her for her next lesson. The next day, we planned to just listen to the spirit and have a back up lesson if we needed it, but to just talk with her and let the spirit guide the way. And it totally worked! She was really open with us and told us that she did what we asked her to do, and she felt the spirit so strong! She said she really felt like she was talking to God and that before she would always want Him to show himself, but that he did that by letting her know through the Holy Ghost that this is the true church and that she needed to get baptized! It was amazing! Except she wants to wait a whole year, but I talked her down to more like a month or two and to just pray to God again like she did the night before and to ask when she should get baptized. She agreed and the rest of the lesson went so great. The gift of tongues is real! And relying on the spirit is KEY! Me and my companion decided to fast for her. We are fasting that she will be able to get an answer and to go to more church activities to become more comfortable and make solid member friends. Me and Elder Dickerson were going to fast on Thursday because today is our P-Day, but we thought about it and decided that today would be way more of a sacrifice because we were going to go to Brigham's Landing to eat real, delicious food. The bigger the sacrifice, the greater the blessings right? I also hope we can be an example to everyone in our district by fasting and sacrificing for others, especially for our investigators.
Well, that's all for this week. Keep Llevette in your prayers and that she will be able to get an answer :) I know she will.
I love you all.
Until next week!

Elder Greer
 
 Bus ride to main campus

Bus ride selfie game strong

The Elder Slavens

Rain! To a Sandy Eggan, rain is a big deal.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment